Friday, March 31, 2006

Log Device and File-Group Device Installation

It would appear that log devices and file-group devices have more than a few things in common - not quite enough in common to justify deriving log devices from file-group devices but it's certainly close. The installers for both these classes also share a certain amount of commonality but this thankfully is limited to ensuring each installer has a primary physical device among its children (and only one at that) so no great problem!

I probably shouldn't have said that - I might yet need to modify the searching code to look through the child tree rather than limiting the search to immediate children as I may want to wrap physical devices within a transaction installer wrapper for example.

I will leave the wrapping of installers in transactional installers to cover installing the log device and each database file-group as these are autonomonous operations (perhaps even wrapping log device and primary file-group under one transaction and everything else under another)

As you can see - I've not quite decided on the right way to go at this time!

Before finishing work on the installers I need to finish the implementation of performance counters and satisfy myself that I have enough support for event-logging within the current logging object - then the project installer located in the DB class library can be moved into the Installer library!

No rest for the very very very wicked eh?

No comments: